Saturday, August 29, 2009

Blog Journal #1

  • Computers and Technology play a major role in education today and are extremely important in both a teacher's teaching process and a student's learning process. I agree completely with the concept chapter 1 brought up about students using technology to get a feel for real world scenarios. Many elementary school children are already using PowerPoint in the classroom, a program many of them will use in their professional careers. Getting hands-on experience with computers is an excellent way to learn new concepts and I truly believe students would be more engaged in learning from a computer as opposed to a textbook. Another issue that was brought up in Chapter 1 that I was able to relate completely to, was the issue of students today knowing more about computers and technology than the teacher. I've witnessed my fellow classmates setting up our teacher for class on many accounts. For example the student would have to show the teacher how to plug in the VCR so we could watch a movie, the student would have to fix the audio on the teacher's PowerPoint lesson, and many other similar issues have occurred. As a future teacher, I hope to show my students how competent I can be as their teacher, and I hope to learn even more advanced technological concepts so that I may teach my students in the most effective manner.
  • When I become a teacher, computers are going to be play a major role in my teaching tactics. As Chapter 1 suggested, I am going to set-up my very own classroom blog. In this blog I will include fun stuff like pictures from different lessons I teach in class, a few learning games that students can have fun with, and I may even post funny videos that relate to things we have discussed in class. In addition to fun stuff on my blog, I will keep an updated calender displaying important upcoming events hosted either by me or the school as whole. One essential quality my blog will have is an explanation of every homework assignment and the due dates. This way, if a student missed a day in class or forgot to write the assignment down, they can log onto my blog at any hour of the day and view the assignment. This will also help parents stay involved with their child's education and keep their children on task. I also plan to use computers to communicate with my students' parents via e-mail, and I will definitely use computers to keep a grade book of the progress of my students. From this class I hope to learn more blogging skills, and I definitely hope to learn how to use the more advanced computer programs like excel, since I will be using these advanced programs for grading purposes.
  • I'm very excited to learn everything this course is going to teach me this semester, and I've already feel I've got my money's worth, after learning to set up my very own blog. I'm a total beginner when it comes to technology and computers and I hope to call myself an expert by the time I'm done with this course. I'm excited to read all the posts from my classmates and view their blogs to help give me ideas on how to better improve my own blog. Oh and did I mention I'm really excited to finish school and finally start my teaching career?!

3 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely beneficial to have homework blogs that explain assignments and keep students are parents on track. I know that through out school I've always been a very scatter brained student, and having a place to go back to and reference the assignment is always very helpful. It is especially beneficial to keep parents involved in every possible aspect of their child's learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha,

    I can relate to what you are saying about students knowing more technology than most teachers. I do believe this trend will change because technology is a primary part of most classrooms today, in my opinion. Granted, there are school districts where funding is far less than other districts, thus making it difficult to achieve this goal. Nonetheless, I see many teachers, including many who have taughts for 2 or more decades, utilizing technology on a daily basis, or at least weekly. At my own school, teachers are required to keep and maintain a webpage that shows lessons and homework assignments. In addition to that, there are a plethora of educational software programs used by schools within our district (Leon). Also, teachers are required to post grades and citizenship on a parent portal, which allow parents to access academic information about their child. So, you will be ahead of some of your peers by the time you start teaching, and may even be able to help some of the veteran teachers who are still making this transition to technology in the classroom. It seems as though you are adept at computers, and will be able to bring all kinds of creativity to your classroom, and I can assure you that the students will appreciate how "hip" you are to their world. Good luck.

    Sincerely,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the blog to use not only for in-class topics and homework, but also extra links they can use if they are especially interested! It will be important, though, to be careful of not enabling the laziness that technology seems to be encouraging in youth today. I think the balance is urgent, but it sounds like you have some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete